What does EHIC stand for?
European Health Insurance Card. This replaces the E111 card. It is a reciprocal healthcare agreement that exists within EU member states plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

Who needs to apply for EHIC?
Anyone who is a UK citizen and who intends to travel within the EU.

In which countries can I use my EHIC?
All EU countries, plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland

What does it actually entitle me to ?
The EHIC entitles you to treatment that is deemed medically necessary whilst you're travelling in any of the relevant countries. You may need to pay and then reclaim the expense (depending on the country). You should attempt to reclaim the expense prior to your return to the UK. If you become permanently resident in another country, your EHIC will not be valid for medical treatment - it's only for when you are temporarily in another country.

For how long is an EHIC valid?
5 years. After this time, you will need to renew your card for future travel - you will normally need your EHIC PIN (printed on your existing card along with the card's expiry date).

What about my kids? Do they need to apply?
Yes - the EHIC is individual and you will need to obtain an EHIC for each of your children. Please note that our system will accept applications on a single form for up to 2 adults and up to 4 dependent children for only one fee (£21.99 standard (10-14 days) or £26.99 express (5-7 days)).

Can I use my EHIC if I go abroad specifically for treatment?
No - the EHIC entitles you to medical treatment where deemed necessary and where the need has arisen unexpectedly.

Where can I get free and independent travel advice?
Probably the best source of advice for travellers is the Foreign & Commonwealth Office's Know Before You Go website. It's packed full of advice and useful information and is kept right up to date. Click here for KBYG.